So, inspired by the numerous female fashion blogs I've seen along these lines, I've decided to start a male fashion blog, wherein I take costumes from works of fiction (television, film, video games, and so on) and interpret them in a modern (and often inexpensive) style.
Inspired specifically by this blog and the reddit comments about it, I'll be starting with three of my favorite outfits on Game of Thrones, belonging to Tywin Lannister, Jorah Mormont, and Robb Stark.
As noted above, where possible, I pick the most frugal option possible because I myself am too poor to drop $600 on a jacket. But sometimes that piece that just screams "Tywin" is a $1900 Versace jacket.
Disclaimer: I'm no professional, and am open to suggestions.
Tywin Lannister
In my opinion, Tywin is consistently the best-dressed character on the show. There's a reason so many people are lusting after that coat, and so I made that the centerpiece of the outfit. With it, I wanted to evoke not only this bitchin' asymmetrical lapel coat, but the other main coat that he wears (not pictured), which is heavily textured. This Versace biker jacket fit the bill pretty well, combining the texture of the other coat (though it is a different pattern) with the asymmetry of this one.
Everything else was pretty simple. Tywin is very monochromatic in his looks, so I chose jeans, boots, and a turtleneck to match. The jeans are simple Levi's 510s, but you could alter the exact design some dependent on your build; 511s are a nice fit. A lot of the characters seem to wear riding gear most of the time, especially boots, so I've chosen the Chelsea boot. This particular one has a zip-up side, out of my personal preference, but the more traditional elastic siding would be more than acceptable, I think.
The Hand's pin is a mostly tongue-in-cheek addition.
Jorah Mormont
This is a pretty simple outfit, but then, men's fashion is often an exercise in artistic simplicity. The definite stand out is the yellow shirt, followed closely by the blue scarf (pictured here). It's made of some sheer cloth, probably linen from the way it's wrinkled, so I went with a John Varvatos linen sport shirt. It's quite a bit more pricey than I would usually be willing to spend on a sport shirt, but its the only one I found that was both sheer enough to get the same vibe and approximately the right color. It could easily - and ideally - be replaced with a cheaper option, but I couldn't find one this time around. Whatever you get, be sure to wear it more open than the model in this picture. A lot of the appeal of the look is in the low neckline Jorah is rocking.
The scarf is a very flexible piece, and also completely optional; as you can, see Jorah looks just fine without it. Any light blue, lightweight scarf should work for this purpose. It has a significantly different profile than the ribbon-thing that Jorah wears, but it's just odd enough that I opted for a more conventional scarf that still suggests the same look. This particular scarf is a little pricey, but as I said, can easily be replaced with something else.
Jorah wears a long kilt or skirt-like garment, but to avoid outright cosplay, I substituted a pair of brown chinos. If you're comfortable wearing a kilt and think it would look good on you, more power to you. The boots are Chelsea-style again, for much the same reason as I chose them for Tywin. Jorah often wears a lot of random bracelets and such, so pile on the wrist bling if you feel like it. More natural-looking pieces - wood, hemp, and so on - would work best.
Robb Stark
(Apologies in advance for the shitty picture; I had to screencap it myself and brighten it up, since this scene is ridiculously dark.)
This is a very simple outfit by Robb's standards (which usually include a fur mantle and plate armor), but an effective one judging by how much I saw it talked about. The jacket is the most important part, and I've chosen a simple leather jacket that roughly matches the profile of Robb's (no lapel, no excess bits like epaulets, etc.).
The shirt is a sheer linen again; it seems to be a very popular casual shirt style in Westeros. It'll look best showing a little chest, though you needn't go quite as deep as Robb here unless you want too. I went with the H&M chinos again, since they seemed like a solid choice.
They're not pictured here, but in this scene, Robb is wearing some rounder-toed boots that look somewhat like the pictured workboots. Thus, I went with an r/malefashionadvice basic suggestion, the Chippewa pair linked above.
If you have any comments, critiques, or suggestions for future posts, please share.
Cheers.



Holy jeez, this seems almost professionally done. You my friend have a knack for style and also writing "fake" real articles.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I'm glad I could inspire someone to start their own blog. I don't have much know-how about male fashion, so you're probably more qualified than I am anyway :P
ReplyDeleteLexi
http://rhinestonereligion.com